Entries tagged with ‘Library Anniversary’

Library at Gustavus (Part 5 of 10)

OLD MAIN (1897-1920) In celebration of 50 years in the current library building (known as the Folke Bernadotte Memorial Library), we’ll be spending the year looking at the history of the library at Gustavus. In 1897 the library moved back into Old Main, housed on the second floor.  Branch libraries continued to exist in both […]

Library at Gustavus (Part 4 of 10)

COMMERCE BUILDING (1889-1897) In 1889, the library moved out of the Main building and into the Commerce Building. During this time the librarian was J.S. Carlson, professor of history, philosophy, and political science. He secured some of the annual publications of Uppsala University in Sweden, and he and his assistants commenced work on a subject […]

Library at Gustavus (Part 3 of 10)

OLD MAIN (1876-1889) The Main building was the first building built when Gustavus moved to St. Peter in 1876. It housed everything, including classrooms, offices, living quarters, and the library. In the beginning the library consisted of approximately 500 volumes and additional donations were actively being sought. By 1887, the library held 3,100 volumes. The […]

Library at Gustavus (Part 2 of 10)

ST. ANSGAR’S ACADEMY (1863-1876) The school Norelius founded moved to East Union in Carver County, Minnesota in 1863. Andrew Jackson became the head of the school, as well as the faculty, registrar, treasurer, and librarian. There were two major additions to the library during this time. The Minnesota Lutheran Conference authorized Jackson to travel to […]

Library at Gustavus (Part 1 of 10)

RED WING (1862-1863) Eric Norelius founded a school in his home at Red Wing, Minnesota in 1862.  His personal collection of books is considered the first library collection  You can view many of the books from Norelius’ personal collection here: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/FolkeB/ericnoreliuspersonallibrary. In celebration of 50 years in the current library building (known as the Folke […]